Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jeremiah.j.mckenna@gmail.com is offline

Default Should I get 18 volt or 24 volt Cordless drill, saw ... ?

On Friday, June 8, 2001 at 8:22:52 AM UTC-5, davefr wrote:
Unless you have a highly specialized application, these voltages are
overkill for a cordless drill. You will pay a large weight and size
penalty. (12v-15v for a drill is just right). My 12v Panasonics have
never let me down and I've never had the desire to have more voltage.

18v for the saw is fine, but I'd really think twice about whether you
really need the cordless feature. You can't beat a corded Super
Sawzall and they are cheaper than cordless.

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:07:13 -0400, Paul McHale
wrote:

I am going to buy a dewalt cordless drill and reciprocating saw
(sawzall). I have a fixer upper and can use the tools. Is it worth
the extra money to buy the 24 volt? I am not a contractor, but don't
want to wish I had more tool down the road. Are there downsides to 24
volt other than price?

PS Most people I know wish they had purchased a higher voltage.

Thanks,

Paul McHale

Man how things have changed in a few years. Now that I look back on this conversation and compare it to what is out on the market now as far as cordless tools. Most brands are still making their corded tools, but not much has improved in the last say 5 to 10 years. Heck, there are a few that are not even making new or upgraded corded tools any longer. However, if you look at their cordless tools, you'll see that they are actually surpassing the corded tools in performance and weight.