Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default scandisk fail

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 10:32:57 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
On 2020/04/11 7:14 p.m., wrote:
On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 10:07:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi all, My daughters ~3yro computer wouldn't boot... no hard drive.
I took her my lap top and brought it home.. cracking open I found
no hard drive, but a scandisk thingie. I took it out of the connector,
some of the gold plated contacts were corroded (or worn?) It's about
a 1"x3" pcb, connector on one end and flat head screw into 1/2 plated
hole on the other. The connector was 'sprung' such that the screw in
the back was needed to hold it down. (Is that done on purpose?)
And I assume the plating around the 1/2 hole at the end is for
grounding.
Anyway, on several of the gold plated contacts the gold was
almost all gone, leaving corroded copper. I think all the
'corroded' pins were on the top. I cleaned it with IPA and put it
back in.. same problem.

Ideas? Can I try a simple tinning of the contacts? or
something else?

Oh I should add the contacts might not be the problem...
in fact most likely something else.

George H.

Make?

HP Pavillion, you turn it on and..

Error, No hard drive (F03?)

(or something like that)
I went to the some setup screen and asked it to
reinstall the bios... which it said it did.
but no better.

George H.
Model?

Symptoms???

John :-#(#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com