Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Picking up the tools again.

On 11 Apr 2020 20:14:35 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 20:10:54 +0100, T i m wrote:

Most of my recent 'electronics' projects have revolved around the
Arduino micro controllers but there is also a certain purity with
something that just works made from discrete components.

I built one of these, for fun (it does work):

https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/652

and also one of these:

https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/762

I used many of those in their standard guise in my time (especially
the NE/LM555/6's). ;-) [1]

Something I've seen and fancied (a bit too young for thermionic
devices so not a tube amp or clock) but just the 1" cube blocks of
materials like Titanium and Tungsten etc.

I mean, I'm aware of the mass of 'heavy' metals but offering someone
to hold the Titanium and then the Tungsten and seeing their reaction
would be fun.

Cheers, T i m

[1] The last being an 8 channel disco lighting controller that had 4
main programs and other timers that allowed the automatic stepping
between them or sub functions (like a auto reversing running light
with analogue control over the speed and change of direction (1 x
556)).

Zero crossing detection between the opto-isolated outputs and the
triacs, all made on Veroboard and hand wired using solid strand
insulated wire.

All that (logic) could now be done with a single Microcontroller. ;-(