Andy Hall

Default Loft ladder

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:29:54 -0000, "Rob Nicholson"
wrote:

There are different sizes and for some it may be necessary to lengthen
the hatch space. Basically you take out the existing hatch assembly
and replace it with the integrated ladder unit

Thanks for the link - I'll get the ladder out and measure up the existing
hole, which just looking at the web-site picture isn't long enough. But at
least it can be lengthened quite easily. Luckly we're redecorating the whole
house so making a mess in extending isn't too bad.

Cheers, Rob.

You're welcome. The width is usually the issue, but if you do some
Googling on wooden loft ladder you should find a number of on line
sites with different widths.

After you have cut the hole, the installation technique is to put the
whole ladder assembly into the loft (you can unbolt the ladder
sections to make it lighter).

You then take a couple of lengths of timber (e.g. 75x25mm) about 1.5x
the gap between the joists and screw them to the ceiling
perpendicular to the joists ( screw into them). One piece goes towards
either end.

You then get into the loft and have a trusted assistant remove the
steps. The new ladder frame is then lowered into place onto these
timber pieces - this makes sure that it is flush with the underside of
the ceiling. You now pack any gaps between the sides of the frame and
the joists with thin wooden packing pieces before screwing through
each side of the frame into the joists. You can then climb down and
fix the ladder pieces on - there is a measuring procedure to get the
length and angle of the bottom section right were it meets the floor.

Finally, you can remove the temporary pieces of timber and make the
edges good. I used some narrow architrave screwed to the frame,
plugged and painted.

It took me a couple of hours to do the entire job. As I say, do
check the gap between joists carefully and at both ends of where the
frame will be. It is not unknown for joists not to be parallel :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl