Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Maplin Resurrection?

In article , John Rumm
wrote:
On 09/04/2020 12:53, charles wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:
On 09/04/2020 12:03, Peter Parry wrote:

Electronics Weekly has a report of the re launch of Maplin
Electronics (www.maplin.co.uk) as an on-line retailer

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/ne...duino-2020-03/

They'll have to make a good job of it and keep the prices down too.
When Maplin had become far more expensive than RS and never had more
than a few of each item in stock, it had clearly lost its way.

Mail order it would have to compete with RS, Farnell (plus their CPC
arm), Jaycar, Amazon and Ebay - and, for me at least, RS and CPC have
the advantage of trade counters for urgent purchases and Amazon has
very quick deliveries.

you've missed Rapid Electronics, the only one to be able to produce a
fuse holder for fuses about žinch* in diameter. RS had spare fuses, but
no holders. *I can't be bothered to find the relevant bit of kit to
check on the exact size.

The original Maplin was basically by post, but thre was a shop in
Southend.

and don't forget CAShTel :-)

and Henry's Radio. and Proops (a lunchtime excursion)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England