Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spark plug coil amplifier

In article ,
AJH wrote:
In article ,
AJH wrote:

I'd guess you want a BIP 373. It's a Bosch IC in the shape of a TO220
which takes 5v in (usually from a microprocessor), and drives a coil
direct. You can usually find them sold singly on Ebay (under MegaSquirt)
or from an MS dealer online. May be tricky to source from the more common
electronics suppliers.

Looks interesting Dave and reasonably cheap but I would need a circuit
diagram to know how to get it to work in the situation

I'd guess it depends on how the original coil was triggered. The BIP is
designed for logic pulses. Anything much greater would need to be clipped.

It couldn't be simpler, circuit wise. Logic pulse straight in to Pin1. Pin
3 to ground, Pin2 to the coil. Other side of the coil to 12v. It's a
fairly bomb proof device with short circuit etc protection.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.