Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Water softener - slow build up of white deposit in plug hole

Actually I thought you had to supply a constant lot of new softener
chemicals. One other thing, if the plumbing is old, there will be calcified
elements in the pipes past the softener, and some of this can come out as
limescale as well over time.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 07/04/2020 13:43, David wrote:
We have been running a water softener for over 7 years now and it does
make a great difference.
The water is soft and shower gel etc. foam easily.

However over time the plug hole of the shower bath has built up a white
deposit.

Has anyone else experienced this?
On line search isn't very helpful.

I assume it may be one of the soluble salts in the water which has become
less soluble and slowly built up, but that somehow doesn't seem right.

I don't run a softener etc but, when I worked in a school in my gap year
pre-Uni, one of my duties was to convert tap water to 'pure' water for the
science lab. The bit of kit use similar to a water softener as I
understand it.

I had to test a sample of the output using a supplied 'kit', if it failed,
the softener needed 'regenerating'

I recall this involved 'flushing' process with something- I can't recall
exactly what- it was 40+ years back- but I seem to recall lab grade Sodium
Chloride was in the mix.

Is there perhaps something in the the softener instructions about
regenerating (or even replacing) the chemicals?

The chemicals in the beast I used looked like tiny, round, cod liver oil
capsules.