Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Water softener - slow build up of white deposit in plug hole

On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 14:09:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 07/04/2020 13:43, David wrote:
We have been running a water softener for over 7 years now and it does
make a great difference.
The water is soft and shower gel etc. foam easily.

However over time the plug hole of the shower bath has built up a white
deposit.

Has anyone else experienced this?
On line search isn't very helpful.

I assume it may be one of the soluble salts in the water which has
become less soluble and slowly built up, but that somehow doesn't seem
right.

Cheers

Dave R

After 12 years my softener ceased working altogether.

If 'Viakal' dissolves the deposit its limescale and you need more salt
in your softener, or a new one

Don't think it can be limescale because there is no build up in the kettle
and we use softened water.

Also, the water is still soft when using the shower.

The softener is set on the lowest setting but the test kit indicates that
it doesn't need to be any higher.

Cheers

Dave R