Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cut the grass. One extreme to another

On 06/04/2020 17:11, harry wrote:
On Monday, 6 April 2020 14:37:25 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/04/2020 09:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
John Rumm formulated the question :
Yup same here - got the first cut done yesterday. The ground had got
as farÂ* as soft but firm enough to support the mower! A week ago it
was still far toÂ* soggy.

I did my third run round with my little tractor/mower yesterday, the
first cut at the beginning of last week when it was just dry enough to
drive on. I don't collect the cuttings, otherwise it chokes the blades
up, I just make the initial cuts in stages, longest then shorter.

My rideon mower struggles with collecting wettish grass.

Rather than mulching (which creates lines of finely chopped grass and
eventual sward damage) I now mow and go back next day when it collects
happily.

Problem I have is the mower can collect or mulch, but does not have a
deck with an open side or back, so it can't just cut and drop. Even if I
fashioned a cowl of some description that replaced the collection bin,
it still needs to blow the grass up the internal chute, and that is were
it clogs.

Perhaps I need to modify the deck itself to make a hinged edge section,
so you can open that, and then fit the mulching plug to block the ducted
exit.

Check the air holes in the collecting bin are not blocked so restricting the airflow

As I said, it can clog in the chute even without the collection bin
attached.

(and the "bin" is in effect a 300L bag made from an open weave material
suspended from the lid of the collector - so its more holes than
anything else so long as you empty it before its completely full)

--
Cheers,

John.