Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cut the grass. One extreme to another

On 06/04/2020 15:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm was thinking very hard :
Perhaps I need to modify the deck itself to make a hinged edge
section, so you can open that, and then fit the mulching plug to block
the ducted exit.

They used to sell such a mulching adaptor for my model, no longer
available, so I have had it in mind to make such a plug for a while. I
just need a nice day and the will, to get a roundtuit.

I have in mind just a sheet of thin steel cut to fill the gap, which
bolts into place. It doesn't need to be the same thickness (5mm) as
steel deck.

On mine its a plastic plug on the end of a metal bar - you stuff it down
the end of the collection chute right down to the deck, and then a
rubber strap holds the end of the bar in place. The plug is shaped to
match the profile of the inside of the deck - but I doubt that matters
too much.

The main problem I find with mulching is that to get good results (i.e.
grass nicely mulched in) you need to mow more than once a week. In fact
during fast growing times, the mower will probably not have the power to
mulch a whole weeks worth of growth in one hit (13.5 HP motor, 36" deck)

--
Cheers,

John.