Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Cut the grass. One extreme to another

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
John Rumm formulated the question :
Yup same here - got the first cut done yesterday. The ground had got
as far as soft but firm enough to support the mower! A week ago it
was still far to soggy.

I did my third run round with my little tractor/mower yesterday, the
first cut at the beginning of last week when it was just dry enough to
drive on. I don't collect the cuttings, otherwise it chokes the blades
up, I just make the initial cuts in stages, longest then shorter.

My rideon mower struggles with collecting wettish grass.

Rather than mulching (which creates lines of finely chopped grass and
eventual sward damage) I now mow and go back next day when it collects
happily.

Just two weeks ago, it needed wellies just to walk upon it.

--
Tim Lamb