Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NiMh Cell: powdery coating under plastic sleeve

On Saturday, 4 April 2020 21:03:47 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 18:36:41 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 3 April 2020 19:32:08 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 17:20:52 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Is "over here" somewhere that you can't even order stuff online? Can you
get "ordinary" AA's? Assuming it is in a multi battery rig then the
"extra" 0.3 volts if you replace just one is unlikely to fry anything..

Not able to order anything on line. Even in the best of times on-line
ordering still meant on-foot collecting which at the moment we are not
allowed to do. Even so NiMh cells are comparatively expensive so I
guess I will have to use supermarket alkalines if I have too many NiMh
failures. I do not forsee any problems there - unlike the time I
destroyed a perfectly good film camera by putting rechargeables in the
compartment clearly labeled "use alkaline cells only." I told uk.d-i-y
about that at the time.

"Over here" is Buenos Aires, Argentina where I will probably be for
the next few months. Apart from the pocket SW Receiver (3x AA) and the
electric shaver (2x AA) it is mainly photographic equipment, including
a medium format film camera which uses 8x AA cells in the motor drive.
I have had to take a different spin on photography: since us over-65s
are not allowed out of the house under any circumstances, instead of
stuff like wandering around railway sidings photographing old trains,
it has become a matter of trying to find new and interesting ways of
looking at whatever I can see from the balcony.

Thanks for all the advice,

Nick

There's also the world of macro. Don't even need equipment for it, can make extension tubes from cardboard. Nothing moves so manual lens control is workable. Ring lights are useful but not essential, there are ways to bodge one from card. You probably know all that.
Perhaps you could pay someone to bring you some NiMH from a local shop.

Yes, well... Can not use cardboard with the medium format camera since
it has a leaf shutter between the lens elements and needs an
electrical connection to fire it. But I have a Pentax SLR and DSLR
here for which the lenses are interchangeable and I have a macro lens
in my kit.

My other half comes from here and lives here most of the year and
today the task will be to d-i-y a set-up to digitise some old slides
from her childhood. Of course back at home I would have put them in my
9600dpi Canon scanner but for some reason which escapes me now I did
not think to put that in my luggage before I left Dear Old Blighty.

Nick

You don't need a shutter to do macro. A black cloth & very low lighting works. Film is as you know tolerant of off exposure to a sufficient extent. Crude yes, but it works, and doesn't imply low quality results.

NT