Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default NiMh Cell: powdery coating under plastic sleeve

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 21:43:00 +0100, wrote:

On 05/04/2020 00:03, Nick Odell wrote:

snip
My other half comes from here and lives here most of the year and
today the task will be to d-i-y a set-up to digitise some old slides
from her childhood. Of course back at home I would have put them in my
9600dpi Canon scanner but for some reason which escapes me now I did
not think to put that in my luggage before I left Dear Old Blighty.

Nick

(Apologies for thread drift)
Could this be the same Nick Odell who appears in
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuaydz after about 9 minutes? I've
made a few instruments (dulcimer, mandolin, Tenor Guitar, Melodeon, and
Hurdy Gurdy and restored a few others). The aim is to eventually make
reproduction English Guittars, if I can ever get rid of everything else
that needs doing.

Oh dear: I am afraid you have me banged to rights there. I have been
retired now for quite some time and although I have had ambitions to
turn a basement room into another workshop, details like boomerang
kids at home and spending too much time down here in South America
have kind of got in the way. Maybe if I ever manage to get home again
and maybe if being in lockdown in the UK becomes an ongoing thing I
can get those ambitions back on track.

Delighted to hear about what you have been building. I have enjoyed
building reproduction historic instruments myself. Mainly as an
exercise to experience how early makers used to work.

There used to be some good usenet newsgroups for instrument makers but
I am afraid they seem to have gone the way of so many other good
groups. Still: at least uk.d-i-y is still thriving!

Nick