Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe[_4_] John Doe[_4_] is offline

Default Must cut 40mm hole in 1/4" aluminum bar

" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Instead of trying to make a 40mm bearing housing, another
possibility here is to work with the inner/shaft diameter of
17mm. I ordered a couple of (pillow block?) bearing holders
(UFL003).

Lots of possibilities now.

ah. A 40mm bearing housing...............

I would use a magic marker on the aluminum and then scribe a 40mm
circle where you want the hearing. Then use about a 1/4 inch
drill to chain drill most of the hole and then finish with a round
file . No suitable file, then buy a 3/4 inch dowel and use it
with sand paper. With good lighting you should be able to make
it close enough to have a press fit.

Yes I have some files, fine for aluminum. Bought them years ago, for
the same project.

Expecting an abundance of AMI flange bearings (diamond shaped, 2 hole)
in two days. Can't wait! Pretty sure they will do, with some figuring.
Maybe more weight, but perfect bearing alignment, with a housing, with
a mounting point (x2).

Seems turning my cheap drill press into a variable speed cordless
drill press will be easier than expected. Apparently the coupling
method is figured out. Surprised it was held together with screws and
not glue, but that was 20+ years ago.