Buck Turgidson

Default How to Run Network Cable in an Old House?

"I could have run the wire through the exterior wall to outside the
house and drop the wire down to near the house foundation and back
inside the basement. But this would be ugly and squirrels would bite
the wire (my old cable TV wire was damaged this way). Therefore, I
prefer to run it through indoor instead of outdoor."

In addition to the other postings, I have read that it is against code to
run ethernet exposed on the outisde.

I ran ethernet a year ago, but it was easy. I went up from my utility room
near the fridge ice maker water line, behind the kitchen cabinets, and into
the dining room. Similarly, I followed the CATV from the basement into the
bedroom.

If it is much more complicated, I'd go wireless. Wireless should have
plenty of bandwidth for streaming video, as long as you don't have a lot of
other traffic at the same time.