Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default NiMh Cell: powdery coating under plastic sleeve

Is it under the top bit? It I believe has some seals or pressure release
system for when it overheats. I imagine its better than it blowing up!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
One AA cell has suddenly turned grey underneath the transparent
printed sleeve and it looks like a powdery coating has formed there.

Under normal circumstances I would just throw it away but these are
not normal circumstances (I´m about 8000 miles away from my stash of
spare batteries and over here I´m not allowed out to buy any more) so
I´d like to keep using it for as long as it holds a charge if it is
safe to do so and it will not ruin my equipment.

Any thoughts about whether this might be just corrosion on the outside
of the can or might it be leaking chemicals or is something else
happening?

Thanks!

Nick