Tracey

Default Home inspection dilemma - missing gutters

"Jon" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience negotiating gutter
repairs/replacement in the purchase of a home. Here's my situation:

I am a first time homebuyer and recently I had the home inspected,
where--among other things--the inspector noted that rain gutters were
missing from the front of the house (curiously there are gutters in
the back). It was visually apparent from the discoloration of the
concrete foundation due to splashing, that the lack of gutters (and
poor yard grading) was causing rain water from the roof to puddle and
become trapped next to the house, which was causing minor water
seepage into the basement.

Just for perspective, I'll tell you that my house has gutters on the front,
and not in the back. We have a water seepage issue in our basement, but
only in the front, where there are gutters - not in the gutterless back.

Figure out how much it would cost you to put gutters on the front of the
house. Is it worth killing the whole deal over that amount of money? We
are going to put gutters on the back, we just haven't gotten around to it.
The estimate we have is for something like $800. Would you kill the house
deal over that much? If not, let it go for now.