Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Must cut 40mm hole in 1/4" aluminum bar

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
On 3/30/2020 7:57 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The machine tool one short step up from a drill press is a
"mill/drill". In my limited experience with substandard import
machine
tools

I gotta disagree with your opinion of the new machines ... well ,
some of them . My (Wholesale Tools ZX45) RF45 clone is rigid and
accurate enough to machine anything I'm capable of doing . It wasn't
cheap at over 1800 bucks , but after the addition of a 3 axis DRO
and X axis power feed I think it's every bit as capable as a
Bridgeport . Geared head and a dovetail column are the 2 reasons it
won out over an RF31 type mill-drill .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

As I mentioned, my experience with import mills is limited to a couple
of low-end ones I used at work, at electronics companies that barely
needed them. The places that employed mechanical engineers had
Bridgeports. The Buffalo was in a small engine repair shop and I've
only passed on what the owner told me.

Does anyone have a good or bad opinion of the smaller & cheaper ones
like the Sieg?