Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Must cut 40mm hole in 1/4" aluminum bar

On 30/03/2020 08:42, John Doe wrote:
"Howard Beel" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message ...

I tried a hole saw in my cheap drill press. Works perfectly for
hardwood, but doesn't work for 6061 aluminum. I might try removing
some teeth from a hole saw, see if it cuts a little better without
the chatter. I am familiar with inwards and outwards leaning
teeth.

Will I have better luck with a 40mm carbide cutter that has fewer
teeth and maybe better chip removal? The hole diameter must be
near perfect, so I might end up buying more than one (different
versions) of those if it cuts through the material.

Is there a small machine made for cutting shallow holes in metal?
I suppose a good drill press would work, but only if necessary.

I recently purchased DeWalt's small cordless metal cutting bandsaw
and think it's great for cutting most small/narrow aluminum.

I really want to cut that hole.
This will do the job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40mm-x-1-w-...AOSwQOFeU0~ M

BWAAAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
Looks like that type has a special shank.
I will try using ordinary carbide cutters and maybe a more robust
looking hole saw, possibly after cutting a few teeth off.

They have a 3/4" Weldon shank and you can get Morse taper arbors to take
them if your drill press has a MT spindle, maybe other 3/4" Weldon shank
adaptors are available I haven't looked. I use them frequently in my BP
mill and just hold them in a 3/4" collet, they cut easily and produce
accurate holes, much better than hole saws IMO. The carbide one linked
to would be over the top for cutting aluminium.