Cafe1

Default Acid vs. concrete.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

A professional strength jack hammer will be able to take a foot or so
off without all that much of a problem. I suggest having someone come in
and do it, it will likely not cost you more than renting and doing it
yourself.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about a "professional strength" jack hammer. Now
that I think about it, the one time that I rented a jack hammer in the past,
the one I rented was an electric plug-in type because I had no way to
transport the bigger one that was available to my house from the rental
center.

As for my uncle, he left a 4 ft cube solid block of concrete by the

back
door. While it was handy to drop off a bag a groceries while I unlocked

the
door, I did want to get rid of it. I tried all kinds of do it yourself
ideas. In the end I dug a large hole and with the help of several other
college age guys we rolled it into the hole.

That's what happened to me when I tried to get rid of concrete back steps,
three steps high (same house as where the antenna tower base/pillar is). I
tried all kinds of tricks -- drilling holes, sledge hammer, heavy duty
chisels, etc. -- then I ended up renting an electric jack hammer. Somehow I
thought the steps would be partially hollow or would have cinder blocks in
the center, etc. Instead, it was solid concrete and was a nightmare to
break up. The best I could do was jack hammer pieces off along any corners
or edges. But, eventually I ended up with a concrete ball that I just plain
could not break up. So, like you, I dug a hole, rolled it in, and buried
it.