Mark

Default Home inspection dilemma - missing gutters

In article
,
says...
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience negotiating gutter
repairs/replacement in the purchase of a home. Here's my situation:

I am a first time homebuyer and recently I had the home inspected,
where--among other things--the inspector noted that rain gutters were
missing from the front of the house (curiously there are gutters in
the back).

Based on the inspection results, I asked to the seller to perform a
number of tasks, including re-installing the gutters in front. I feel
that gutters are to be
considered a home necessity, rather than an optional item,

No, they aren't a "necessity". Most homes, if properly
landscaped and maintained, will do just fine without them.

IF the house had come equipped with front gutters, but the inspector
found them to be in terrible shape or nonfunctional, I would have
obviously asked for them be replaced. To address this problem, I'm
assuming the seller cannot simply opt to take them down and leave the
house 'gutterless'. If this WERE to happen, I would have grounds to
exercise my Inspection Contingency Clause and walk away from the deal
with my deposit back, correct (or no)?

Sorry, unless code in your jurisdiction _requires_ gutters
(which is highly unlikely), you do not have grounds to break
your contract.

--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.