Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Masks

On 28/03/20 14:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/03/2020 09:09, Jeff Layman wrote:

You mean this:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-actually-work

Seems to explain when you need them and when not.

A confusing video giving mixed messages with so many ifs, maybes, in
generals, etc. But perhaps the biggest error is that it shows and talks
about those simple face masks worn by doctors, nurses, etc, when
carrying out minor procedures. It also misses the point that if you are
wearing a mask, it acts as a barrier between your hands and face when
you forget to /not/ wipe your face with your hand.

So long as the mask is not already saturated because you have been
wearing it for half an hour...

Well, even if wet it would still act as a barrier between hand and face.

I've had a couple of unused P3 masks for a year, and have now made good
use of them on shopping trips. The point is they will remove coughed
particulates in the 0.3 to 10 micron range. That was one thing the BBC
video was very poor on; if someone coughs a few metres ahead of you, and
you walk through the "cloud" do you think you'd be better off wearing a
decent mask or not?

If its a full face respirator, then I expect you would be better off
with the mask.

Not full face. Half face with valve; soft rubber seal around the
periphery. I guess if push came to shove, tight-fitting safety goggles
would be a useful addition

--

Jeff