Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drilling th rough tile

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 12:24:34 -0400, micky
wrote:

So I have the grab bar** and I have to drill, I guess, 3 holes at each
end to hold it.

Any suggestions about drilling through tile, ceramic tile, I guess.
I've never done that.

Carbide? I have some of the cheapest carbide bits you've ever seen. I
don't know where I got them but they were almost free.

Worth buying better?

Should I start with a small hole and enlarge it?

Diamond? A set of five diamond bits are only $7 or 10.

Anything else to know?

**I'm keeping the one I have. Even the non-peened is not perfectly
smooth and I hate to return something they'll be scared to touch because
of the virus. And it's a nuisance for me too, to return and buy another.

Some tile is really hard, Other stuff drills pretty easy. Your real
question should be, what are you screwing into on the other side? Have
you found the studs? By the shower door, I was able to hit a stud but
the back wall was concrete block so I used 3" TapCons into that.
If you really have that hard tile, a Bosch bit, in a hammer drill and
some water in a Zep bottle does the trick but it is still slow.