Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Masks

On 28/03/2020 15:40, wrote:
On 28/03/2020 14:28, John Rumm wrote:

For DIY I normally recommend:

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/compan...86499 &rt=rud

They can be adjusted to get a very good face seal (although beardies
may have a different experience), and the valve directs the hot wet
air down and away from the eyes. They are intended to last a month of
daily use before being replaced. That usually translates into much
more time with occasional use.

If you want protection from the current "elevated" threats, you would
probably have to consider the re-useable full face mask version with
the appropriate filters.

That's what I've been using for a year or two (after a recommendation
here) and, as a beardy, can report that they work well. I've had to
replace the elastic once, and wipe the inside with IPA from
time-to-time, but the input filters are unlikely to get clogged so I
don't see why the mask can't continue to live until the exhaust valve
gives-up.

I have found when they get old the internal rubber flaps that cover the
inside of the filters can curl a bit at the edges. That means a bit of
the waste air can escape back through the filters rather than the valve.
Which may raise the risk of steaming up glasses, or get the filter
getting wetter than it would otherwise.

--
Cheers,

John.