Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Possibly for ARW - cable reel recommendation

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 05:45:10 -0500, Bev wrote:

I'm looking to buy (by *delivery*) a 25 - 30m extension cable and reel.
Single socket output is fine but water resistant if possible. Fully
unwound with a minimum 2500w rating/240v/13A. Fully wound ideally around
1000w to cope with partial unwinding for use with chainsaw or hedge
trimmer.

Prefer metal reel but good *strong* 'plastic' would suffice. I don't like
cassette types though.

ebay/amazon etc throw up lots of options but recommendations from those
who use them preferred.

Ta

When I was looking for one almost all were 1.25 sq. mm wire rated at 13A. I
bought a 50m drum of 1.5 from Wilkinsons (cheaper than elsewhere) and made a
reel of 27m - 25m would have been close.
The reel is v. crude and hard to use but just about does the job and, being
open in the centre is well ventilated.
I looked for an empty reel but they're rare in a decent format and cost
about the same as a full one!
Machine Mart had a good one, price quite high + delivery, just within
reasonable distance by bus but MM's reputation put me off.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away