Andy Dingley

Default Question about using a router

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:34:09 +0000, PoP
wrote:

my thumbs aren't comfortable
holding the switch in

Well there's your problem, isn't it. A non-locking switch is enough
to stop me buying any router with one.

Now, the question is how to guide the router along a straight edge.
Are you supposed to run the router against the guide on the circular
side of the sole plate, or using that flat spot that is provided on
the sole plate?

It depends. You might also find the fence useful, or even putting in a
guide bush. It all depends on which is the most stable way to support
the base, and the sideways location is then usually quite easy. Think
too about how it will slip, and which way it slips. Where's the best
place to put the guide bar ? Is it time to fool around with
double-sided fencing, or even do it on a table.

If I'm trenching in the middle of a huge piece, I'd probably do it
with a narrow cutter and run the flat side of the base against a bar
clamped to the side I'm cutting. That way any wobble against the bar
leaves a lump, not a divot. A 3/4" dado gets cut in 3 passes with a
1/2" cutter. This is obviously slow, mainly because it needs 3 setups
with the guide bar. However it also means that the first rough cut
(the double sided one) isn't important if it wobbles, and both of the
neat finished edges are cut in the divot-free mode. I can probably
feed the router faster than I could with a single pass of a 3/4"
anyway.

--
Smert' spamionam