Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default mag base remagnetizing

On 3/24/20 3:10 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:14:40 -0700, wrote:

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 00:26:44 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 11:06:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 21:25:20 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

The alnico
magnets in old and/or inexpensive mag bases were/are magnetized after
assembly. This takes a LOT of current. I have seen the setups for
doing this and they are not trivial.

There's a two-part magnetization process for alnico, you have to observe the
built-in (at ceramic-firing time) polarity when you apply current.
It WILL magnetize one direction, not the other.

Usually, metalworkers have access to high DC current sources from Lincoln, Miller,
Hobart, etc. and that's what it'll take.

My 300 amp Miller would not provide enough current for decent
magnetization. Not even close.
Eric

Might work to charge the capacitor bank, but definitely won't do the
magnetizing unless you have a lot of turns - it's ampere turns that
make the feild strength - and too many turns increase the
inductance/reluctance and slow down both the build-up and collapse of
the feild.

The setups from some of the experimenters that use high-current pulses to
shrink coins might be a good place to start.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=shrink+coin

Delivering 100,000 Amperes from capacitors charged to 12,000 Volts is a bit
of a challenge, though.