HeatMan

Default Water heater pressure relief value drip

"Harry K" wrote in message
om...
"HeatMan" wrote in message

k.net...
Yeah, but run a leaking one to a drain?

The TPR valve should -always- be run to a drain, code or no code.
Just picture what happens if the valve opens and fails to close again
(yes it happens). You now have an open connection to the service line
that will continue to spew water until someone shuts it off. No
drain?? Where do you think the water is going to go??

Harry K

First off, local codes (read LOCAL) do not require the relief valve to be
run to a drain. The code requires the pipe to be run to a point a few
inches above the ground. Running the pipe to a drain is a plus.

Second, and more important(!), the question was who told the OP to run a
leaking pipe to a floor drain. If the relief is leaking, there is a problem
and running it to a floor drain will simply hide the problem. You need to
learn how to read.

Oh, and yes, the relief valves do pop and run continuously. If it's in an
older house with a 1.25 inch or a 1.5 inch floor drain (and it does happen,
I'm sitting about 14 feet from a 1.5 inch floor drain), don't you think
65-120 psi will overpower the draining capacity of such a small drain?

While I'm at it, have you ever seen the pipe off a relief valve drain
upwards? I see them almost daily...... New codes require there to be some
way to drain the water off the seat of the valve.