Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What about peened grab bars?

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:28:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/22/2020 9:12 AM, micky wrote:

I actually slipped** in the bathtub a couple weeks ago and fell, on my
back, beetween the tub and the toilet.

Fortunately not hurt at all, not dirty, not even disgusting.

But it's going to get harder in the next 10 or 20 years so I want a grab
bar.

What is the difference between stainless and peened, in terms of grab
bars, and which one is better for a bathtub? (For baths, fwiw. I
have a designated shower for showers.)

peened
https://www.amazon.com/Moen-R8924P-P...4882094&sr=8-4

stainless
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

**Actually, to solve that problem, I got a vinyl bathmat. It's as long
as the tub, but I'm cutting it in half so it won't be where I sit or
slide down, so it will still be comfortable. When I'm getting in or
out, I'll stand nearer the drain end. For 35 years I'd been thinking
about those abrasive stick-on things, but a friend convinced me they
don't come off when you want them to and they make lying down or moving
while on one's back uncomfortable.

I have the peened. The stainless look prettier but the peened give a
little better grip, IMO.

Consider putting on or two in the shower also. Both my showers are
large so there is a long bar in the back and a shorter bar at the
entrance. The small shower is 60" and the master bath is 80". We have
no tub.

I also had bars put in the water closet. My wife needed them to get up
and down but I use them too.

You can find where they should be located on line. For a tub, I'd want a
vertical bar to help getting in and then a horizontal bar to help
getting up and down. My vertical bars are 18".

This area has a large older population and I just called Mr Grab Bar and
he installed them for a reasonable price.

I put the white ones in here at the wife's insistence but I put the
peened in at the FIL's. He does need them the most tho. The grip is
more important to him.