Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sch 80 threads in sch 40 fittings.

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 16:58:58 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 3/21/2020 10:08 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 06:40:20 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 3/20/2020 10:22 PM,
wrote:
Has anyone else had problems with leaks when you screw a Sch 80 PVC
into a sch 40 (white) fitting? It doesn't seem to matter no tape, the
right amount of tape or a **** load of tape, they leak. You can run
them up until there no threads left and they still leak.
I am not sure if this is a vendor problem or just something that
happens. I am gluing them now.

I have never had a problem with that.

I just had it happen 3 times in a row with different fittings. Maybe
the Sch80 stuff is just a little small or something. It is a different
vendor than the Sch40. I am not having the problem with brass and PVC.
Even the cheap stuff they sell in the lawn sprinkler aisle works
better than the Sch80.

I have noticed mold web on the threads on Sch 80 occasionally which
might cause a problem. It might be that running them into a steel
fitting thread or threading tool might clean those up if they cause
problems. Or, buy them somewhere that makes them better.

As I said in the other note, things being what they are, I am not
driving all over town looking for a better source.