Remove dots from userid to reply

Default Water heater pressure relief value drip

About four months ago, we replaced our electric water heater. Last weekend
the pressure relief valve started dripping small amounts of water
intermittently. Some research/analysis resulted in a diagnosis of high
pressure due to a one-way valve between us and the street; sure enough, it
drips worse when we don't use water for long periods. And it only started
recently because we have an Aprilaire humidifier (the kind that has a
trickle of fresh water running through it whenever it's running), and of
course just turned that off for the spring.

So. The question is: do I *need* an expansion tank? I was given two
1) Expansion tank.
2) Just run a tube from the valve to the floor drain nearby

My concern is whether option (2) -- easy, cheap, etc. -- is a good idea
long-term. Will constant slight "blowing" of the valve cause it to fail
catastrophically?

I found this on one site:
"T&P valves are strictly an emergency measure and should be replaced every 2
years. At 180 psi , the temperature that the T&P valve opens, damage can
occur to your system and you may have voided the warranty on your water
heater."
and:
"Plumbing codes require that thermal expansion control be addressed in
plumbing systems. A temperature and pressure relief valve is not considered
a thermal expansion device. This is because when water is allowed to
continuously drip from the T&P relief valve, minerals from the water can
build up on the valve, eventually blocking it. This blockage can render the
T&P valve useless and potentially lead to hot water heater explosions."

Obviously these concern me! I just don't want to $pend more dollar$ if I
don't have to, though it sure sounds like I do have to.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

....phsiii