Joseph Meehan

Default Can I refurbish my kitchen cabinets?

Al Kondo wrote:
In answer to a question from a respondent, my wife and I just want to
update the cabinets so that they look better. The wood of the
"boxes" are in excellent shape. The cabinet doors, however, need some
help. They have some sort of thin veneer which has been coming off
for some time now.

Bad news. Likely you can't salvage them or re-finish them. The stuff
coming off may have been veneer or a printed paper product. In either case,
it is now in bad shape. You can't really fix what is missing or stop the
rest from coming off. You could take it all off, but I doubt if you will
find anything worthwhile finishing under it. They seldom use anything of
value under a veneer or other covering. About your only hope is that the
stuff peeling off was put there by someone who just wanted to change
something that was there.

The veneer is of wood color and has been
cracking. I am not sure what to do with them. Can I replace them if
they are not worth saving? Can the veneer be removed and new veneer
used to replace it? I am wondering if there is something I can place
over the existing "boxes" to give it a different look. Presently,
they are painted white and pretty simple. Any thoughts or suggestions
will be welcomed.

Al Kondo

--
Joseph E. Meehan