Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default DIY manuals - are they still a thing?

On Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 5:56:22 PM UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, 12 March 2020 15:07:28 UTC, wrote:
Is my memory playing tricks or did one vintage of this manual show you how
cover a panelled interior door with plywood (or quite possibly hardboard),
while a later vintage told you how to restore a door that had had such
an atrocity perpetrated on it?

I think it was the DIY magazines that went wild with abandon telling you how to build your own bedroom furniture out of asbestos sheeting, etc.

Hardboarding interior doors probably saved thousands from the skip in the 60s and 70s

I had a flat with all the doors panelled with hardboard and wooden trim tacked on. I decided to have them 'dipped and stripped' and set about removing the hardboard, only to find the moulding had been removed and bits of plasterboard had been fixed into each recessed panel. So that had to be stripped out as well (all this the evening before the doors were due to be collected), and then new moulding made up and fixed in place once the doors had been returned. Worth it in the end though, I think!

--
Halmyre