Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default DIY manuals - are they still a thing?

On 16/03/2020 02:38, wrote:

Yankee screwdrivers are hopeless compared to even the cheapest cordless screwdriver. It's not just the terrible mechanism, the drill bit geometry was way off too. Plus any sort of powerered screwdriver doesn't work well in an era of mostly slotted screws. It was just better than nothing.

Having used cordless drills in screwdriver mode for very many years I
purchased a cordless impact driver. It's another tool I wish I had
purchased earlier.

Also first time use of some concrete screws that don't require raw
plugs, just drill a 4mm pilot hole and wack them in with a impact
driver. This was through a thick layer of 100 year old plaster and into
brick. I'm not sure the cordless drill in the screwdriver mode would
have had enough umph to fully tighten the concrete screw.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive...100-pack/3560r

I was impressed by how easy the impact driver coped with self drill
metal screws.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive...200-pack/5004h