Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default Baku 601D hot air reflow station - warning

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 1:56:28 PM UTC-4, legg wrote:

This bench HAS a power switch. Unfortunately, it has to
be on, to run anything.

You can't shut it off as a prevention for a soldering
station to spontaneously go up in smoke. You CAN turn
it off, if there's something burning on the bench.

This is also hooked up to a dead man harness. . . . but
then that's probably too late. Power labs are advisedly
no-lone-operator environments.

Best to restrict line-powered tools to those with safety
approvals.

Or at least make sure they are properly fused. I bought one of those heat sealers for plastic bags last year. It didn't work, so I opened it up Both wires to the spring loaded power switch had cold solder joints and one had cracked off in shipping. I always look into the design of imported equipment to look for safety hazards. Just because a case has some safety stick on it doesn't mean that it was properly built in a foreign factory.

We had a new employee miswire the IEC power connector on a chassis. She had the AC line connected to the chassis, and the ground wire connected wrong as well. The tech who knew better plugged it in without looking at the wiring. When it didn't turn on, He leaned over to look into the chassis as he touched the chassis and a grounded piece of test equipment. H got a really nasty shock that he could have avoided. If it hadn't knocked him on his ass, it could have killed him.