Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder[_2_] Arlen Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Hard or soft braking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 19:57:50 +1100, Xeno wrote:

The second is to replace the drum rather than machining it. In fact, a
lot of manufacturers don't recommend drum machining these days.

Hi Xeno,
I love that you brought up points of additional points of finesse, which
is, after all, what learning on rec.autos.tech is all about!

One thing I have observed, which I'm sure you'll understand, is that living
in the Silicon Valley, where shop rates are commonly around $200 an hour,
_any_ machining of basic parts isn't going to ever be cost effective.

As an example, when I replaced the flywheel of the SUV, the cost for
machining it was almost the price of a brand new flywheel at the auto parts
stores (but far less than a brand new dealer-supplied flywheel).

Even though the flywheel could have been machined, it wasn't worth it given
the cost of labor here in the Silicon Valley.

I suspect machining shoes and drums would have the same economics, unless
we bought the tools to do ourselves.

I think throwing away parts instead of machining them is kind of sad
because we throw out a lot of useful parts simply because they're cheaper
to replace than to machine.