Joseph Meehan

Default Can I refurbish my kitchen cabinets?

Al Kondo wrote:
I live in a house that was built in the 1950's and it exists in
Baytown, Texas which is just outside of Houston. It is a ranch style
home. My wife and I have been thinking of either replacing or
refurbishing our kitchen cabinets. I had an estimate from Sears for
a refacing job. The refacing along with a new corian counter came up
to 10k. The estimator indicated that because our kitchen cabinets
are "built in", they are made of excellent wood. I have also had
estimates from Lowe's for replacement of the cabinets. There costs,
while cheaper, are not substantially less than Sears.

My question is.... Can I do something to refurbish my cabinets so that
there is an effective upgrade? I am very handy (In the last year, I
sheetrocked all of the ceiling on the first floor of my house, and I
refinished all of my hardwood floors with polyurethane), but I have
not done any cabinet work. Additionally, as I am semi-retired, I have
a lot more time than most do. Please send along your opinions.

Al Kondo

You left out a couple of factors that would help.

Why do you want to refurbish the cabinets? Dirty, wrong color, too
light or dark, just tired of them? Are they mechanically solid? Do they
server your current needs other than looks?

What else do you want to do with your kitchen? Change arrangement? New
countertops? Floor?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math