Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Flame sensing electrodes

This appliance redefines the term old to me. I cannot help but wonder what
else might be happening in the unit. Gas, electricity, water and textiles
and a flame, what could possibly go wrong!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On 13 Mar 2020 17:40:16 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Anyone know how these work and why my tumble dryer has a long central
electrode in the flame path with an adjacent earth pin that is angled so
that there's a small gap between the end of the insulated electrode and
the
end of the earth pin.

I ask as all the replacement ones I see for sale only have a single
insulated electrode and no earth one. I'm assuming that the electronics
for these must be a bit different and a single electrode type won't work
in
mine.

It's a White Knight gas tumble dryer. Only 30 years old now so I'd like to
get a few more years out of it but Crosslee don't stock spares for this
machine any more and I haven't seen anything similar on line.

The present earth pin has suffered some erosion/corrosion and it's not
always sensing the flame.

Hopefully, here's a picture.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HGzbwdk6Lw1zMNAb9

Tim

Looks like a spark ignition electrode, but if you're sure it's the
ignition detector, then within a flame there's some ionisation, so
there will be conductivity across the gap when the flame is present.
Like you, I looked at images and only saw single electrode ones, but
presumably the other electrode is just any bit of earthed metal such
as the casing. Your bent electrode is effectively earthed in the same
way. Have you tried cleaning it up with a wire brush or emery paper,
both at the tip and around the base where it clamps onto the frame, to
make a good electrical contact there?

--

Chris