Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder[_2_] Arlen Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Hard or soft braking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:04:31 +1100, Xeno wrote:

It tells you what it does in the description. It measures clearance
between the brake lining and the drum.

That doesn't explain how to use it, but that's OK as the way I do the
shoe-to-drum clearance is I adjust that by a friction fit and then back it
off a few notches, and then I engage the self adjusting mechanism once it's
all put back together.

Luckily, nowadays, very few vehicles I've worked on have drum brakes, where
that specific drum was on an SUV that went something like 180K miles on one
set of rear shoes (and there was _still_ meat on those rear shoes but I
replaced them anyway because I didn't want to have to take it apart again).

It's shocking, actually, how long the rear brake shoes lasted on that SUV,
where I replaced the clutch twice in the time that I did the shoes just
once, and that rear drum had plenty of meat left for another 180K miles.
--
Usenet allows purposefully helpful adults to share solutions with others.