Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default Hard or soft braking

On 13/3/20 2:43 pm, Steve W. wrote:
Arlen Holder wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 12:17:16 +1100, Xeno wrote:

Whilst on that topic, the thinner the disc (through wear or
machining) the less it is able to hold heat and the sooner it will
reach the point of brake fade.

Hi Xeno,
Much appreciated all your kind help & advice!
o I'll pass it on to one of my granddaughters who will be driving soon!

On that topic of the amount of metal, I'm one of the (apparently rare)
shade-tree mechanics who owns calipers and dial gauges such that I check
rotor thickness, runout, and brake drum diameter.
Â*http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9428041drum_brakes_3.jpg

I do realize a lot of people on Usenet "talk" that they check rotors and
drums, but IMHO, without pictures, it didn't happen (most don't seem to
even own the proper tools with which to check them, particularly those
who
spout that their brake rotors 'warped').

I replace a rotor or drum when it's due, but not before it's due.
Â*http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9335528drum_brakes_2.jpg

I hope that isn't the caliper you use to measure drums. The jaws are not
long enough to reach the friction areas inside the drum for a good
measurement of wear. Same thing with a set of rotors, you need to check
thickness in at least three areas on the friction surface and to do that
you need longer jaws on the calipers to reach to the depth of the hat.

What you also won't be able to check with those is bell mouthing of the
drum. In fact, the only part you *may* be able to measure is the
*unworn* lip, if any. Used to use dedicated drum calipers, designed for
the task.

It's impossible to be in any gear higher than 2nd on the way up.
So, given that level of steepness, the *rule* informs the gear you
should engage on the way down.

As I said, I _love_ your "golden rule" of being in the same gear in both
directions, which I will steal (with your permission) to use with my
upcoming driving lessons for one of my grandkids.

I thank you for your advice, where today I ran a tracking program:
Â*https://i.postimg.cc/qMj0ZFMh/pskill00.jpg

On the way downhill, the average speed was 21.81 mph which is a bit lower
than the 25mph I would have guessed, and the maximum speed, surprisingly,
was a bit higher than I would have guessed, where it was 35.48 mph.

Thanks for all your helpful advice over the years, where I'm a sponge for
facts, and hence, I love when others deal with logic, sense, and facts!

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)