Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default DIY manuals - are they still a thing?

wrote:
+1. The availability of so many viewpoints & assumption levels makes
videos far better, though some like to waste 10 minutes presenting 1
minute of info. FWIW that 70s reader's digest one still pops up for sale
on occasion, much of it very out of date but some is still good. IIRC it
includes how to change a gramophone idler wheel & zero risk assessments.

Grew up with the Readers Digest one, which we still have somewhere.

What might be more useful these days is an overview book - it might not tell
you exactly how to do a specific job, but sets out the basic principles and
the options - you could do A or B or C, which have the following benefits
and tradeoffs. Then you can go and look up a video or products for doing C
when you've decided that's what you want. It would save time googling
around, finding a vendor of B that omits to mention A and C, all the sites
on A are talking about the USA, etc.

The wiki is pretty good for that though

Theo

PS. I spotted a wiki knockoff the other day that doesn't have the right
licence:
https://www.aaelectricalservices.co....n-mains-cable/
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Cables