Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps[_4_] Grumps[_4_] is offline

Default Electrically heated towel rail/radiator installation

On 11/03/2020 03:19, Steve Walker wrote:
I'd have thought it should have some kind of thermostat, surely? Can
you not
set it so it has a lower temperature than would cause burns?
Â* Brian

Is it likely to get any hotter than the 80°C of many traditional
radiators or wet towel rails?

SteveW

Well that's what I thought too.

The whole story is...
The bathroom currently has a smallish towel radiator that is part of the
central heating system (combi boiler). It is mounted far closer to the
floor than 600mm, and the pipes run vertically from the floor directly
to the rad.
Obviously, in summer when the heating is not on, then the towel rad will
not get hot.
I know I can convert this rad to operation with an electrical element
too (a little plumbing I don't fancy doing), but I don't want to get
into a situation where the element fails and I have to remove the
plumbed-in rad just to change said element. Changing an element on an
all-electric rad is simpler.

So, for simplicity, I was just going to remove current plumbed-in rad
and cap off the pipes, and then install this electric one.
The house is going to be a rental property v.soon.