Set Square

Default Remember mould behind bed in the bedroom?

Howie wrote:

Hi all. Originally, I had a problem with mould (caused by
condensation hitting an outside wall) behind my bed in a modern
house.

I have today discovered that, - contrary to my original belief,
the wall in question is _actually_ a cavity wall!

The wall is the whole side of the house and is of concrete-block
construction, rendered on the outside. The house is built into a
hillside and can be seen he-

http://www.coakley.co.uk/personal/ne...rontview_1.JPG

Now, I am still having a great deal of trouble with mould, - now
apparent in both upstairs rooms against this wall. Also, inside
the house the wall itself is very cold to the touch.

Can anyone tell me... is there an effective way to cavity-fill
the wall, - and will this help cure my mould/condensation problem
inside the house?

Appreciate all help offered....

H.

Nice picture - but a bit more jpeg compression would have been good!

When you say that the house is built into the hillside, are you saying that
there is soil in contact with the walls *above* the DPC? If so, the outer
layer of blocks is going to absorb water from the soil, and it only takes a
bit of mortar on the occasional tie to make a bridge to bring it to the
inner layer.

You need first to address these issues to stop the water getting in. Then -
and only then - will cavity wall insulation help to keep the inner layer
warm. If you install it before curing the damp, it will make the damp worse!
--
Cheers,
Set Square