Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan J. Wylie Alan J. Wylie is offline

Default dash now

Ian Jackson writes:

Although my new car does have an ignition key, at first I thought it
had no key-holes in the door handles. Only after reading TFM did I
find out that it does - but they are covered up with plastic shells,
which you have to prise off if you ever need to use them.

On Sunday I went caving up at Ribblehead. Got back to the car, couldn't
feel my fingers, car remote wouldn't work. Fortunately, I'd read the
instruction manual and remembered that there is a tiny slot on the
underside of a shell at the rear of the driver's door handle, into which
you push the key to pop it off. My fingers were so numb I had then
difficulty turning the key.

I presume that the cold had affected the button cell in the remote, it
had no problem working later on.

CR2032's come in a wide range of prices: several for a pound from a
cheap shop, 2 for £4.50 from Asda. Does anyone know how much difference
there is between a brand name one and cheap ones, in terms of low
temperature performance?

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience