Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Relamping with LED

On 08/03/20 21:48, John wrote:
I have a ceiling fitting with G9 bulbs - Halogen 40 watt.

The heat and a bit of arcing has damaged a lampholder and I can't work out
how to replace it.

Ideally I would like to go with LED - but dimmable ones are not bright
enough.

I was wondering if there could be a way to rebuild it with a power supply
in the ceiling and low voltage LEDs in place of the G9s.

Are there any low voltage LEDs that are brighter than the halogens in a
similar size?

This was covered - more or less - in the recent thread "Where to buy G9
LEDs, i.e. reasonable price and quality?" Basically, if your ceiling
fitting was designed for use with G9 halogens, you might well find that
LED bulbs overheat in the same fitting, and give a lot shorter life than
you expect. In general, too, the lumen figures quoted for LED G9s are,
shall we say, somewhat on the optimistic side!

That being said, if you could get G9 low voltage LEDs you should find
they are more reliable than mains G9 LEDs, as it is usually the power
supply circuitry in the base of the bulb which fails through overheating
rather than the led module itself. The problem is that, as far as I can
see, all G9 bulbs are mains voltage!

So if you need a power supply and something different from G9s, why not
replace the light fitting and stay with a mains voltage LED bulb? GU10s,
in my experience, are more reliable and brighter than G9s, and there is
a vast choice of ceiling fittings for GU10s.

--

Jeff