Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Seized Grub Screw

Can one not just remove the whole fitting and put up another one complete?
Its often less annoying.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On 07/03/2020 21:51, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I have a bathroom fitting made by Miller.

It is like a hoop that takes a glass soap dispenser.
Anyhow the hoop fitting slides onto a wall mounted spigot and is
secured by a grub screw.
Trouble is the mounting spigot has snapped and I am struggling to
remove the grub screw that fixes the hoop to that
spigot.
Guessing that the hoop body into which the grub screw is fitted is
chromed mild steel. Not sure what the grub screw itself is made
of.
The grub screw seems to be seized in the thread as the spigot that
it retains is loose.

I have put enough welly onto the Allen key to permanently twist
the key with no movement of the grub screw.

How do I free the grub screw?

Thanks

Phil

The usual approach is heat, drill or easy-out. I suspect it's far too
small for the last one so you're left with the first two, although the
grub screw is probably hardened so drilling may not be easy, and you are
unlikely to want to use a torch on it.
I think I'd try leaving it in boiling water for a while and then using a
left-handed drill.