Pop Rivet

Default Waterlogged well pressure tank

"frank1492" wrote in message
Maybe I'm off-base here, but isn't it likely that the old
galvanized tank he describes is bladderless and relying
on sheer size to produce effect? If so, I don't know how
such a tank could get "waterlogged." I've had one for
40 years and never experienced that. Weird.

It's -possible- it's a bladderless tank - they were in use
for many years, and were pretty reliable (so I've heard).
They still worked, however, with an air "load" but they may
or may not have had a valve to add air to them depending on
their age. I know of others who've had them "forever" too,
and had no problems with them. All I personally have heard
about them is that they corrode and get eaten away by what's
in the water faster because the air is in contact with the
galv steel (bladderless). Galv, though; NOT a fast decayer!
When there IS an air valve, all you have to do is add
some air to the tank while the pressure's low (pump on);
where there isn't one, you must empty the tank to recharge
them. The old stuff worked, no doubt in my mind. As to a
comment on the amount of charge needed, that depends too
much I think on detail not given here to recommend a psi
setting or if one is even needed in the case. Personal
opinion, anyway.
Pop