Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Modern keys...

On Thursday, 5 March 2020 16:50:07 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 5 March 2020 12:50:56 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Our front door has a BS3621 Yale lock. The insurance company are
happy
with that, and it self locks.

Self locking is a nightmare in the country when you spend half your
time
outside the house in the garden

Never known any night latch that can't be locked open.

But I'd guess that is too complicated for you?

Are you the kind of super-person who can actually remember to do this
*every* time?

Must be. I've never locked myself out.

Once. In 1969. And it was a B&B, so I just had to ring the bell.

Most people are only saved a lot of money and inconvenience by
having a
hidden key outside somewhere.

Good grief.

Highly insecure. I suppose you could leave a key with a 'trusted'
neighbour and have them come and snoop.

I prefer to leave one with trusted friends.
I tend not to leave my house just wearing a dressing gown either.

Once a friend was delayed from holiday due to something sop was a day late
so she asked me to go and feed the cats, which I could only do because
I have her spare key and she has one of mine. We live about 15mins walk
from each other.

I wouldn't leave a key with a neighbour because if someone broke in to
theirs and they find a key, they might assume and try the key in 'next
door' just in case.

I have my next door neighbours 2 keys on my keyring
because I used to feed their cats when they were
away for the winter every winter. There is no chance
that a burglar who grabbed my keys would think of
try my 10 keys in the neighbours locks.

Why not are your buglers more stupid than ours,
if he was watching while they were away (every winter) he would have seen you feeding the cats and known you had a a key.