Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. Harry Bloomfield, Esq. is offline

Default A basic 3-phase question

AnthonyL laid this down on his screen :
1. It doesn't matter which wire is which phase providing the sequence
of 1-2-3 2-3-1 or 3-1-2 is maintained when connecting, or any pair
swapped if that is what is required.

Yes. Which is which phase will normally be decided and checked at the
incomer (with the instrument I). The phase marking will then be
maintained throughout the installation. If a 3ph motor is already
marked for the correct phases to ensure the correct direction of
rotation, if connected with the correctly marked phases, it will run
the desired way. Swapping over any two of the three phase wires, will
reverse the direction of rotation.

2. The voltage between any two phases is 440v and it doesn't matter
which two

Yes.

3. The voltage between any phase and ground/neutral is 240v

Yes.

Are there any conditions when the phase needs to be known? If so how
is it detected?

There is no way to determine on an unmarked 3ph cable, which wire is
which phase apart from the obvious belling method of comparing the
voltage to the known incoming other end. To ensure, or check correct
phase rotation, engineers use a tiny 3ph handheld (I), three wire
motor.