Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Headlight restoration

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 07:05:53 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 1:05:41 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 02/28/2020 09:28 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 Feb 2020 17:40:43 -0600, dpb
wrote:

On 2/27/2020 3:22 PM, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 12:25:58 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I used Meguires Rubbing compound. It covered the scratches.

Andy

I used Meguires on an older model Volvo.

Some improvement, not enough to be worth the effort, and it didn't last.

If the cloudiness is deep enough you'll never get enough off to make much difference.

My experience universally...

A guy called to me from a nearby car.

Because my right tire has been low a few times, I thought that's what he
was warning me about.

But no, so since I have a scratch on the left fender, I thought he was
offering to fix that, even though he was on the right side of the car.

But no, he was offering to polish my headlight plastic. He wanted $100
to do one side, and iiuc $400 to do the whole front, but the only thing
I have in the front are the headlights and little fog lights and there
is never any fog.

So I'm thinking about doing it myself and paying me $200. When warm
weather comes.

If you're serious, check the price for the assembly for your car. Mine
is $110 for the pair and replacement isn't that difficult. It seems
wasteful but from some of the comments from previous threads the polish
jobs don't hold up that well.

3M kit worked perfectly for me, I've used it 3 times, two different
vehicles. Came out very clear, 95% improvement, lasted probably 5
years, for $15. They include the buffing wheel attachment for a drill.

I used a 3M kit on a 2002 Toyota a few years ago, with great success. I
sold the car about a year after that so I don't know how long the fix would
have lasted.